A spectrum of factors, including injuries to ligaments, tendons, muscles, and cartilage, can give rise to knee joint discomfort. Sports-related cruciate ligament tears often lead to pain and instability, posing a common challenge.request an appointment
Among the elderly, osteoarthritis emerges as the primary contributor to knee joint pain. Similar to other synovial joints, osteoarthritis can occur due to cartilage degeneration and excessive bony growth, stemming from age-related or degenerative changes. This can lead to inflammation and associated pain. Notably, inflamed facet joints can generate referred pain, distinct from radicular pain arising from irritation of large spinal nerves.
Knee pain can originate from various sources, with conditions affecting the joint itself often manifesting as discomfort in the front or back of the knee. Meniscal injuries are frequently observed along the sides of the knee.
Typically, pain exacerbates with joint extension, lateral motion, sitting cross-legged, ascending or descending stairs, and during cold weather conditions.
Knee pain described on the outside of the knee, above or below the joint, is commonly attributed to soft tissues, encompassing muscles, ligaments, tendons, and connective tissues.
It is essential to note that certain medical conditions can manifest as knee pain despite being unrelated to the knee joint, a phenomenon referred to as referred pain.
Accurate diagnosis entails a comprehensive evaluation encompassing medical history, physical examination, and appropriate imaging modalities, including CAT scans, x-rays, MRI scans, and, in specific cases, bloodwork.
Our approach to knee pain management at Innovation Spine Medical includes a range of options:
- Conservative Treatment: This entails the use of analgesics for temporary pain relief, low-dose antidepressants that can be beneficial for both sleep and chronic pain, and, in cases of worsening chronic pain, the judicious use of opioids.
- Physical Therapy: Tailored physical therapy programs featuring home exercises aim to enhance joint strength, flexibility, and range of motion, focusing on both the knee joint and associated muscles.
- Diagnostic/Therapeutic Joint Injections: These injections, with or without supplemental steroids, can provide effective relief and complement the effects of oral medications and physical therapy.
- Regenerative Treatments: Innovative regenerative therapies such as PRP (Platelet-Rich Plasma) and Amniotic Fluid have demonstrated success in alleviating knee pain.
- Surgical Consideration: When conservative approaches prove insufficient, patients may be evaluated for candidacy for reconstructive or joint replacement surgery, ensuring the most suitable course of action to address their knee pain.
At Innovation Spine Medical, we are dedicated to understanding the intricacies of knee pain and tailoring our treatments to provide personalized care and relief for each patient.
Locations we serve in Queens, NY: Rego Park, Maspeth, Corona, Forest Hills, Middle Village
Locations we serve in Nassau County:
Malverne, Lynbrook, West Hempstead, Franklin Square, Valley stream.